Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Lost Passion

I was doing a little (late) spring cleaning the other day and came upon my old binder I kept my fashion sketches in. The last sketches in the binder were from 2007. This made me extraordinarily sad. Here's what happened.

sketch 1 5-31-09

Long story short, in spring 2007 I applied for and was accepted to the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising (FIDM) in San Francisco, a dream since high school. Unfortunately, FIDM is quite expensive, let alone rent in S.F.

sketch 2 5-31-09

Needless to say, I was somewhat melancholy for some time after that. I think a part of me gave up and put the binder away in a subconscious profession of defeat. I haven't looked at them since.

sketch 3 5-31-09

It makes me sad to see them again, but it also makes me feel invigorated. As I said in my initial post, I don't want my life to just be my job. And there's no reason to give up something I loved so much just because I'm not making money with it.

sketch 4 5-31-09

So, I started sketching. I'm a little rusty, and I've never claimed to be great at it (hence no design career for me). Nonetheless, I enjoyed it very much and that's a good enough reason for me.

sketch 5 5-31-09

1 comment:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin